ORGANIZATION
BHQ 60TH COY BUFFS COY VICS COY BAND CADETS RHQ
ASSOCIATION
PARENT NFLD-MARITIMES TORONTO CALGARY VANCOUVER ISLAND THE POWDER HORN THE QOR BURSARY
HISTORY
EARLY DAYS THE FENIAN RAID THE NW REBELLION WORLD WAR I WORLD WAR II POST WAR PRESENT DAY RIFLE REGIMENTS VICTORIA CROSS BATTLE HONOURS COLONEL-IN-CHIEF FAMOUS MEMBERS ALLIANCES AIRBORNE ROLE QOR 2010 GALLERY REPOSITORY RSOs
COMMUNITY
MEMORIALS TRUST FUND MUSEUM BLACK NET ST. PAUL'S CANTERBURY THE LAST POST
SOCIAL
CALENDAR JR RANKS' MESS SERGEANTS' MESS OFFICERS' MESS BAND EVENTS KITSHOP MAPLE LEAF CLUB

 

The Museum

Click here to access the QOR Museum Archives

The QOR of C Regimental Museum was authorized by the Regimental Executive Committee in 1956 and officially opened in Calgary, Currie Barracks on 1 May 1957. The first curator was Captain JR Schmitz (1957 – 1970). During 1970 the museum was transferred from Calgary to Casa Loma, Toronto. It now occupies the major part of the third floor of the Casa Loma. The original curator in Toronto was Lieutenant Colonel WT Barnard (1970 – 1988) ably assisted by Captain PA Simundson (1988 to present) who took over as curator when Colonel Barnard retired. There are also smaller displays in Calgary and Victoria.

Casa Loma was the former estate of Sir Henry Pellatt, a prominent Toronto financier, industrialist and military man. Travels in Europe gave him the love for fine art and architecture that would spur his vision of Casa Loma, his "house on the hill," which took three years and $3.5 million to build in the early 1900s. This romantic side was uniquely juxtaposed by his other lifelong passion: his involvement with The Queen's Own Rifles. Sir Henry, who joined The Queen's Own as a rifleman in the 1870s, was knighted in 1905 for his military service with The Regiment, upon which he spent many hundreds of thousands of dollars. The Regiment's band was often engaged to entertain guests at the castle. In 1910, at his own expense, to mark The Regiment's 50th anniversary, Sir Henry took the entire 600 man regiment -- including its horses -- to England for military exercises from 13 August to 3 October. The museum, filled with memorabilia relating to the Regiment, dating as far back as the date of its formation in 1860 and its involvement in every military action undertaken by Canada since then, attracts thousands of visitors from around the world each year.

The QOR Museum is open every day of the year except Christmas Day, from 0900 to 1600 hours. Passes for members of The Queen’s Own are available from the Battalion Orderly Room.

 

"In Pace Paratus - In Peace Prepared"